R40.2420 - Glasgow coma scale score 9-12, unspecified time
|Short Description:||Glasgow coma scale score 9-12, unspecified time|
|Long Description:||Glasgow coma scale score 9-12, unspecified time|
|Status:||Valid for Submission|
R40.2420 is a billable ICD-10 code used to specify a medical diagnosis of glasgow coma scale score 9-12, unspecified time. The code is valid during the fiscal year 2023 from October 01, 2022 through September 30, 2023 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions.
This code describes a circumstance which influences the patient's health status but not a current illness or injury. The code is unacceptable as a principal diagnosis.
Unspecified diagnosis codes like R40.2420 are acceptable when clinical information is unknown or not available about a particular condition. Although a more specific code is preferable, unspecified codes should be used when such codes most accurately reflect what is known about a patient's condition. Specific diagnosis codes should not be used if not supported by the patient's medical record.
According to ICD-10-CM guidelines this code should not to be used as a principal diagnosis code when a related definitive diagnosis has been established.
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Glasgow coma scale, 10
- Glasgow coma scale, 11
- Glasgow coma scale, 12
- Glasgow coma scale, 9
The Medicare Code Editor (MCE) detects and reports errors in the coding of claims data. The following ICD-10 Code Edits are applicable to this code:
- Unacceptable principal diagnosis - There are selected codes that describe a circumstance which influences an individual's health status but not a current illness or injury, or codes that are not specific manifestations but may be due to an underlying cause. These codes are considered unacceptable as a principal diagnosis.
R402420 replaces the following previously assigned ICD-10 code(s):
- R40.242 - Glasgow coma scale score 9-12
Convert to ICD-9 Code
|Source ICD-10 Code||Target ICD-9 Code|
|No Map Flag -|
- FY 2023 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2022 through 9/30/2023
- FY 2022 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2021 through 9/30/2022
- FY 2021 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2020 through 9/30/2021
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018