Valid for Submission
R19.12 is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of hyperactive bowel sounds. The code is valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code R19.12 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like bowel sounds continuous or bowel sounds hyperactive or bowel sounds loud or o/e - bowel sounds or o/e - bowel sounds exaggerated.
According to ICD-10-CM guidelines this code should not to be used as a principal diagnosis code when a related definitive diagnosis has been established.
|Short Description:||Hyperactive bowel sounds|
|Long Description:||Hyperactive bowel sounds|
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code R19.12 are found in the index:
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Bowel sounds continuous
- Bowel sounds hyperactive
- Bowel sounds loud
- O/E - bowel sounds
- O/E - bowel sounds exaggerated
Diagnostic Related Groups
The ICD-10 code R19.12 is grouped in the following groups for version MS-DRG V37.0 What are Diagnostic Related Groups?
The Diagnostic Related Groups (DRGs) are a patient classification scheme which provides a means of relating the type of patients a hospital treats. The DRGs divides all possible principal diagnoses into mutually exclusive principal diagnosis areas referred to as Major Diagnostic Categories (MDC). applicable from 10/01/2019 through 09/30/2020.
- 391 - ESOPHAGITIS, GASTROENTERITIS AND MISCELLANEOUS DIGESTIVE DISORDERS WITH MCC
- 392 - ESOPHAGITIS, GASTROENTERITIS AND MISCELLANEOUS DIGESTIVE DISORDERS WITHOUT MCC
Convert R19.12 to ICD-9
- 787.5 - Abnormal bowel sounds (Approximate Flag)
Symptoms, signs and abnormal clinical and laboratory findings, not elsewhere classified (R00–R99)
Symptoms and signs involving the digestive system and abdomen (R10-R19)
Oth symptoms and signs involving the dgstv sys and abdomen (R19)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020