Valid for Submission
R09.1 is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of pleurisy. The code is valid for the fiscal year 2021 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code R09.1 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like acute dry pleurisy, asbestos pleurisy, bacterial pleurisy, basal pleurisy, chronic dry pleurisy, diaphragmatic pleurisy, etc
According to ICD-10-CM guidelines this code should not to be used as a principal diagnosis code when a related definitive diagnosis has been established.
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to the code R09.1:
Type 1 Excludes Type 1 Excludes
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes note. It means "NOT CODED HERE!" An Excludes1 note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as the code above the Excludes1 note. An Excludes1 is used when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
- pleurisy with effusion J90
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code R09.1 are found in the index:
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Acute dry pleurisy
- Asbestos pleurisy
- Bacterial pleurisy
- Basal pleurisy
- Chronic dry pleurisy
- Diaphragmatic pleurisy
- Drug-induced pleurisy
- Dry pleurisy
- Fibrinous pleurisy
- Infective pleurisy
- Interlobar pleurisy
- Obliterative pleuritis
- Pleurisy without effusion or active tuberculosis
- Sterile pleurisy
- Viral pleurisy
- PLEURISY-. inflammation of pleura the lining of the lung. when parietal pleura is involved there is pleuritic chest pain.
- TUBERCULOSIS PLEURAL-. tuberculosis of the serous membrane lining the thoracic cavity and surrounding the lungs.
Diagnostic Related Groups
The ICD-10 code R09.1 is grouped in the following groups for version MS-DRG V38.0 What are Diagnostic Related Groups?
The Diagnostic Related Groups (DRGs) are a patient classification scheme which provides a means of relating the type of patients a hospital treats. The DRGs divides all possible principal diagnoses into mutually exclusive principal diagnosis areas referred to as Major Diagnostic Categories (MDC). applicable from 10/01/2020 through 09/30/2021.
- 193 - SIMPLE PNEUMONIA AND PLEURISY WITH MCC
- 194 - SIMPLE PNEUMONIA AND PLEURISY WITH CC
- 195 - SIMPLE PNEUMONIA AND PLEURISY WITHOUT CC/MCC
Convert R09.1 to ICD-9
- 511.0 - Pleurisy w/o effus or TB (Approximate Flag)
Symptoms, signs and abnormal clinical and laboratory findings, not elsewhere classified (R00–R99)
Symptoms and signs involving the circulatory and respiratory systems (R00-R09)
Oth symptoms and signs involving the circ and resp sys (R09)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020
- FY 2021 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2020 through 9/30/2021