Valid for Submission
Q67.3 is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of plagiocephaly. The code is valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code Q67.3 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like congenital positional plagiocephaly or molded baby syndrome or plagiocephaly or plagiocephaly or postural plagiocephaly. The code is exempt from present on admission (POA) reporting for inpatient admissions to general acute care hospitals.
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code Q67.3 are found in the index:
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Congenital positional plagiocephaly
- Molded baby syndrome
- Postural plagiocephaly
- CRANIOSYNOSTOSES-. premature closure of one or more cranial sutures. it often results in plagiocephaly. craniosynostoses that involve multiple sutures are sometimes associated with congenital syndromes such as acrocephalosyndactylia; and craniofacial dysostosis.
- PLAGIOCEPHALY NONSYNOSTOTIC-. a deformity of the skull that is not due to bone fusion synostosis such as craniosynostoses and is characterized by an asymmetric skull and face. it is observed with an increased frequency in infants after the adoption of supine sleeping recommendations to prevent sudden infant death syndrome.
- PLAGIOCEPHALY-. the condition characterized by uneven or irregular shape of the head often in parallelogram shape with a flat spot on the back or one side of the head. it can either result from the premature cranial suture closure craniosynostosis or from external forces nonsynostotic plagiocephaly.
Diagnostic Related Groups
The ICD-10 code Q67.3 is grouped in the following groups for version MS-DRG V37.0 What are Diagnostic Related Groups?
The Diagnostic Related Groups (DRGs) are a patient classification scheme which provides a means of relating the type of patients a hospital treats. The DRGs divides all possible principal diagnoses into mutually exclusive principal diagnosis areas referred to as Major Diagnostic Categories (MDC). applicable from 10/01/2019 through 09/30/2020.
- 564 - OTHER MUSCULOSKELETAL SYSTEM AND CONNECTIVE TISSUE DIAGNOSES WITH MCC
- 565 - OTHER MUSCULOSKELETAL SYSTEM AND CONNECTIVE TISSUE DIAGNOSES WITH CC
- 566 - OTHER MUSCULOSKELETAL SYSTEM AND CONNECTIVE TISSUE DIAGNOSES WITHOUT CC/MCC
Present on Admission (POA)
Q67.3 is exempt from POA reporting - The Present on Admission (POA) indicator is used for diagnosis codes included in claims involving inpatient admissions to general acute care hospitals. POA indicators must be reported to CMS on each claim to facilitate the grouping of diagnoses codes into the proper Diagnostic Related Groups (DRG). CMS publishes a listing of specific diagnosis codes that are exempt from the POA reporting requirement. Review other POA exempt codes here .
CMS POA Indicator Options and Definitions
|POA Indicator Code||POA Reason for Code||CMS will pay the CC/MCC DRG?|
|Y||Diagnosis was present at time of inpatient admission.||YES|
|N||Diagnosis was not present at time of inpatient admission.||NO|
|U||Documentation insufficient to determine if the condition was present at the time of inpatient admission.||NO|
|W||Clinically undetermined - unable to clinically determine whether the condition was present at the time of inpatient admission.||YES|
|1||Unreported/Not used - Exempt from POA reporting. ||NO|
Convert Q67.3 to ICD-9
- 754.0 - Cong skull/face/jaw def (Approximate Flag)
Congenital malformations, deformations and chromosomal abnormalities (Q00-Q99)
Congenital malformations and deformations of the musculoskeletal system (Q65-Q79)
Congenital ms deformities of head, face, spine and chest (Q67)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020