Not Valid for Submission
P04.1 is a "header" nonspecific and non-billable diagnosis code code, consider using a code with a higher level of specificity for a diagnosis of newborn affected by other maternal medication. The code is NOT valid for the year 2021 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. Category or Header define the heading of a category of codes that may be further subdivided by the use of 4th, 5th, 6th or 7th characters.
Specific Coding for Newborn affected by other maternal medication
Header codes like P04.1 require more digits to indicate the appropriate level of specificity. Consider using any of the following ICD-10 codes with a higher level of specificity when coding for newborn affected by other maternal medication:
- P04.11 - Newborn affected by maternal antineoplastic chemotherapy
- P04.12 - Newborn affected by maternal cytotoxic drugs
- P04.13 - Newborn affected by maternal use of anticonvulsants
- P04.14 - Newborn affected by maternal use of opiates
- P04.15 - Newborn affected by maternal use of antidepressants
- P04.16 - Newborn affected by maternal use of amphetamines
- P04.17 - Newborn affected by maternal use of sedative-hypnotics
- P04.18 - Newborn affected by other maternal medication
- P04.19 - Newborn affected by maternal use of unspecified medication
- P04.1A - Newborn affected by maternal use of anxiolytics
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to the code P04.1:
Code FirstCode First
Certain conditions have both an underlying etiology and multiple body system manifestations due to the underlying etiology. For such conditions, the ICD-10-CM has a coding convention that requires the underlying condition be sequenced first followed by the manifestation. Wherever such a combination exists, there is a "use additional code" note at the etiology code, and a "code first" note at the manifestation code. These instructional notes indicate the proper sequencing order of the codes, etiology followed by manifestation.
- withdrawal symptoms from maternal use of drugs of addiction, if applicable P96.1
Type 1 ExcludesType 1 Excludes
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes note. It means "NOT CODED HERE!" An Excludes1 note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as the code above the Excludes1 note. An Excludes1 is used when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
Type 2 ExcludesType 2 Excludes
A type 2 excludes note represents "Not included here". An excludes2 note indicates that the condition excluded is not part of the condition represented by the code, but a patient may have both conditions at the same time. When an Excludes2 note appears under a code, it is acceptable to use both the code and the excluded code together, when appropriate.
Convert P04.1 to ICD-9 Code
The General Equivalency Mapping (GEM) crosswalk indicates an approximate mapping between the ICD-10 code P04.1 its ICD-9 equivalent. The approximate mapping means there is not an exact match between the ICD-10 code and the ICD-9 code and the mapped code is not a precise representation of the original code.