Valid for Submission
O02.81 is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of inappropriate change in quantitative human chorionic gonadotropin (hcg) in early pregnancy. The code is valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code O02.81 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like abnormal placental secretion of chorionic gonadotropin or absence of placental secretion of chorionic gonadotropin or biochemical pregnancy or deficiency of placental function or disorder of placental endocrine function.
The code O02.81 is applicable to female patients aged 12 through 55 years inclusive. It is clinically and virtually impossible to use this code on a non-female patient outside the stated age range.
|Short Description:||Inapprop chg quantitav hCG in early pregnancy|
|Long Description:||Inappropriate change in quantitative human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) in early pregnancy|
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to the code O02.81:
Inclusion Terms Inclusion Terms
These terms are the conditions for which that code is to be used. The terms may be synonyms of the code title, or, in the case of "other specified" codes, the terms are a list of the various conditions assigned to that code. The inclusion terms are not necessarily exhaustive. Additional terms found only in the Alphabetic Index may also be assigned to a code.
- Biochemical pregnancy
- Chemical pregnancy
- Inappropriate level of quantitative human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) for gestational age in early pregnancy
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code O02.81 are found in the index:
The Medicare Code Editor (MCE) detects and reports errors in the coding of claims data. The following ICD-10 Code Edits are applicable to this code:
- Maternity diagnoses - Maternity. Age range is 12–55 years inclusive (e.g., diabetes in pregnancy, antepartum pulmonary complication).
- Diagnoses for females only - Medicare Code Editor detects inconsistencies between a patient’s sex and any diagnosis on the patient’s record, this code applies to FEMALES only
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Abnormal placental secretion of chorionic gonadotropin
- Absence of placental secretion of chorionic gonadotropin
- Biochemical pregnancy
- Deficiency of placental function
- Disorder of placental endocrine function
Diagnostic Related Groups
The ICD-10 code O02.81 is grouped in the following groups for version MS-DRG V37.0 What are Diagnostic Related Groups?
The Diagnostic Related Groups (DRGs) are a patient classification scheme which provides a means of relating the type of patients a hospital treats. The DRGs divides all possible principal diagnoses into mutually exclusive principal diagnosis areas referred to as Major Diagnostic Categories (MDC). applicable from 10/01/2019 through 09/30/2020.
- 817 - OTHER ANTEPARTUM DIAGNOSES WITH O.R. PROCEDURE WITH MCC
- 818 - OTHER ANTEPARTUM DIAGNOSES WITH O.R. PROCEDURE WITH CC
- 819 - OTHER ANTEPARTUM DIAGNOSES WITH O.R. PROCEDURE WITHOUT CC/MCC
Convert O02.81 to ICD-9
- 631.0 - Inapp chg hCG early preg
Pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium (O00–O99)
Pregnancy with abortive outcome (O00-O08)
Other abnormal products of conception (O02)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020