Valid for Submission
O01.9 is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of hydatidiform mole, unspecified. The code is valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code O01.9 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like gestational trophoblastic disease, hydatidiform mole, benign, hyperthyroidism due to hydatidiform mole with thyrotoxic crisis, hyperthyroidism due to molar thyrotropin, placental site nodule, residual trophoblastic disease, etc
The code O01.9 is applicable to female patients aged 12 through 55 years inclusive. It is clinically and virtually impossible to use this code on a non-female patient outside the stated age range.
|Short Description:||Hydatidiform mole, unspecified|
|Long Description:||Hydatidiform mole, unspecified|
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to the code O01.9:
Inclusion Terms Inclusion Terms
These terms are the conditions for which that code is to be used. The terms may be synonyms of the code title, or, in the case of "other specified" codes, the terms are a list of the various conditions assigned to that code. The inclusion terms are not necessarily exhaustive. Additional terms found only in the Alphabetic Index may also be assigned to a code.
- Trophoblastic disease NOS
- Vesicular mole NOS
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code O01.9 are found in the index:
The Medicare Code Editor (MCE) detects and reports errors in the coding of claims data. The following ICD-10 Code Edits are applicable to this code:
- Maternity diagnoses - Maternity. Age range is 12–55 years inclusive (e.g., diabetes in pregnancy, antepartum pulmonary complication).
- Diagnoses for females only - Medicare Code Editor detects inconsistencies between a patient’s sex and any diagnosis on the patient’s record, this code applies to FEMALES only
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Gestational trophoblastic disease
- Hydatidiform mole, benign
- Hyperthyroidism due to hydatidiform mole with thyrotoxic crisis
- Hyperthyroidism due to molar thyrotropin
- Placental site nodule
- Residual trophoblastic disease
- Thyrotoxic crisis
- HYDATIDIFORM MOLE INVASIVE-. a uterine tumor derived from persistent gestational trophoblasts most likely after a molar pregnancy hydatidiform mole. invasive hyadatiform mole develops in about 15% of patients after evacuation of a complete mole and less frequently after other types of gestation. it may perforate the myometrium and erode uterine vessels causing hemorrhage.
- HYDATIDIFORM MOLE-. trophoblastic hyperplasia associated with normal gestation or molar pregnancy. it is characterized by the swelling of the chorionic villi and elevated human chorionic gonadotropin. hydatidiform moles or molar pregnancy may be categorized as complete or partial based on their gross morphology histopathology and karyotype.
Diagnostic Related Groups
The ICD-10 code O01.9 is grouped in the following groups for version MS-DRG V37.0 What are Diagnostic Related Groups?
The Diagnostic Related Groups (DRGs) are a patient classification scheme which provides a means of relating the type of patients a hospital treats. The DRGs divides all possible principal diagnoses into mutually exclusive principal diagnosis areas referred to as Major Diagnostic Categories (MDC). applicable from 10/01/2019 through 09/30/2020.
- 817 - OTHER ANTEPARTUM DIAGNOSES WITH O.R. PROCEDURE WITH MCC
- 818 - OTHER ANTEPARTUM DIAGNOSES WITH O.R. PROCEDURE WITH CC
- 819 - OTHER ANTEPARTUM DIAGNOSES WITH O.R. PROCEDURE WITHOUT CC/MCC
Convert O01.9 to ICD-9
- 630 - Hydatidiform mole (Approximate Flag)
Pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium (O00–O99)
Pregnancy with abortive outcome (O00-O08)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020