Valid for Submission
N47.6 is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of balanoposthitis. The code is valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code N47.6 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like bacterial balanitis, balanoposthitis, balanoposthitis, balanoposthitis, gonococcal tysonitis, posthitis, etc
The code N47.6 is applicable to male patients only. It is clinically and virtually impossible to use this code on a non-male patient.
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to the code N47.6:
Use Additional Code Use Additional Code
The “use additional code” indicates that a secondary code could be used to further specify the patient’s condition. This note is not mandatory and is only used if enough information is available to assign an additional code.
Type 1 Excludes Type 1 Excludes
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes note. It means "NOT CODED HERE!" An Excludes1 note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as the code above the Excludes1 note. An Excludes1 is used when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code N47.6 are found in the index:
The Medicare Code Editor (MCE) detects and reports errors in the coding of claims data. The following ICD-10 Code Edits are applicable to this code:
- Diagnoses for males only - Medicare Code Editor detects inconsistencies between a patient’s sex and any diagnosis on the patient’s record, this code applies to MALES only
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Bacterial balanitis
- Gonococcal Tysonitis
- Trichomonal balanoposthitis
Diagnostic Related Groups
The ICD-10 code N47.6 is grouped in the following groups for version MS-DRG V37.0 What are Diagnostic Related Groups?
The Diagnostic Related Groups (DRGs) are a patient classification scheme which provides a means of relating the type of patients a hospital treats. The DRGs divides all possible principal diagnoses into mutually exclusive principal diagnosis areas referred to as Major Diagnostic Categories (MDC). applicable from 10/01/2019 through 09/30/2020.
- 727 - INFLAMMATION OF THE MALE REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEM WITH MCC
- 728 - INFLAMMATION OF THE MALE REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEM WITHOUT MCC
Convert N47.6 to ICD-9
- 607.1 - Balanoposthitis (Approximate Flag)
Diseases of the genitourinary system (N00–N99)
Diseases of male genital organs (N40-N53)
Disorders of prepuce (N47)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020