Valid for Submission
N45.1 is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of epididymitis. The code is valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code N45.1 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like acute epididymitis, chronic epididymitis, epididymitis, epididymitis associated with another disorder, epididymitis without abscess, infective epididymitis, etc
The code N45.1 is applicable to male patients only. It is clinically and virtually impossible to use this code on a non-male patient.
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code N45.1 are found in the index:
The Medicare Code Editor (MCE) detects and reports errors in the coding of claims data. The following ICD-10 Code Edits are applicable to this code:
- Diagnoses for males only - Medicare Code Editor detects inconsistencies between a patient’s sex and any diagnosis on the patient’s record, this code applies to MALES only
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Acute epididymitis
- Chronic epididymitis
- Epididymitis associated with another disorder
- Epididymitis without abscess
- Infective epididymitis
- Sperm granuloma
- Sperm granuloma of epididymis
- EPIDIDYMITIS-. inflammation of the epididymis. its clinical features include enlarged epididymis a swollen scrotum; pain; pyuria; and fever. it is usually related to infections in the urinary tract which likely spread to the epididymis through either the vas deferens or the lymphatics of the spermatic cord.
Diagnostic Related Groups
The ICD-10 code N45.1 is grouped in the following groups for version MS-DRG V37.0 What are Diagnostic Related Groups?
The Diagnostic Related Groups (DRGs) are a patient classification scheme which provides a means of relating the type of patients a hospital treats. The DRGs divides all possible principal diagnoses into mutually exclusive principal diagnosis areas referred to as Major Diagnostic Categories (MDC). applicable from 10/01/2019 through 09/30/2020.
- 727 - INFLAMMATION OF THE MALE REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEM WITH MCC
- 728 - INFLAMMATION OF THE MALE REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEM WITHOUT MCC
Convert N45.1 to ICD-9
- 604.90 - Orchitis/epididymit NOS (Approximate Flag)
- 604.99 - Orchitis/epididymit NEC (Approximate Flag)
Diseases of the genitourinary system (N00–N99)
Diseases of male genital organs (N40-N53)
Orchitis and epididymitis (N45)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020