Valid for Submission
M62.84 is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of sarcopenia. The code is valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code M62.84 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like sarcopenia.
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to the code M62.84:
Inclusion Terms Inclusion Terms
These terms are the conditions for which that code is to be used. The terms may be synonyms of the code title, or, in the case of "other specified" codes, the terms are a list of the various conditions assigned to that code. The inclusion terms are not necessarily exhaustive. Additional terms found only in the Alphabetic Index may also be assigned to a code.
Code First Code First
Certain conditions have both an underlying etiology and multiple body system manifestations due to the underlying etiology. For such conditions, the ICD-10-CM has a coding convention that requires the underlying condition be sequenced first followed by the manifestation. Wherever such a combination exists, there is a "use additional code" note at the etiology code, and a "code first" note at the manifestation code. These instructional notes indicate the proper sequencing order of the codes, etiology followed by manifestation.
- underlying disease, if applicable, such as:
- disorders of myoneural junction and muscle disease in diseases classified elsewhere G73
- other and unspecified myopathies G72
- primary disorders of muscles G71
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code M62.84 are found in the index:
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- SARCOPENIA-. progressive decline in muscle mass due to aging which results in decreased functional capacity of muscles.
Diagnostic Related Groups
The ICD-10 code M62.84 is grouped in the following groups for version MS-DRG V37.0 What are Diagnostic Related Groups?
The Diagnostic Related Groups (DRGs) are a patient classification scheme which provides a means of relating the type of patients a hospital treats. The DRGs divides all possible principal diagnoses into mutually exclusive principal diagnosis areas referred to as Major Diagnostic Categories (MDC). applicable from 10/01/2019 through 09/30/2020.
- 557 - TENDONITIS, MYOSITIS AND BURSITIS WITH MCC
- 558 - TENDONITIS, MYOSITIS AND BURSITIS WITHOUT MCC
M6284 replaces the following previously assigned ICD-10 code(s):
Convert M62.84 to ICD-9
- 728.3 - Muscle disorders NEC (Approximate Flag)
Diseases of the musculoskeletal system and connective tissue (M00–M99)
Disorders of muscles (M60-M63)
Other disorders of muscle (M62)
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020