Not Valid for Submission
M62.83 is a "header" nonspecific and non-billable diagnosis code code, consider using a code with a higher level of specificity for a diagnosis of muscle spasm. The code is NOT valid for the year 2021 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. Category or Header define the heading of a category of codes that may be further subdivided by the use of 4th, 5th, 6th or 7th characters.
Specific Coding for Muscle spasm
Header codes like M62.83 require more digits to indicate the appropriate level of specificity. Consider using any of the following ICD-10 codes with a higher level of specificity when coding for muscle spasm:
- SPASM-. an involuntary contraction of a muscle or group of muscles. spasms may involve skeletal muscle or smooth muscle.
- TRISMUS-. spasmodic contraction of the masseter muscle resulting in forceful jaw closure. this may be seen with a variety of diseases including tetanus as a complication of radiation therapy trauma or in association with neoplastic conditions.
Information for Patients
Neuromuscular disorders affect your neuromuscular system. They can cause problems with
- The nerves that control your muscles
- Your muscles
- Communication between your nerves and muscles
These disorders can cause your muscles to become weak and waste away. You may also have symptoms such as spasms, twitching, and pain.
Examples of neuromuscular disorders include
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
- Muscular dystrophy
- Myasthenia gravis
- Spinal muscular atrophy
There can be different causes for these diseases. Many of them are genetic.This means they are inherited (run in families) or are caused by a new mutation in your genes. Some neuromuscular disorders are autoimmune diseases. Sometimes the cause is not known.
Many neuromuscular diseases have no cure. But treatments may improve symptoms, increase mobility, and lengthen life.
- Apraxia (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Hand or foot spasms (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Muscle atrophy (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Muscle function loss (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Muscle twitching (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Myotonia congenita (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Spasticity (Medical Encyclopedia)