Not Valid for Submission
M40.20 is a "header" nonspecific and non-billable code code, consider using a code with a higher level of specificity for a diagnosis of unspecified kyphosis. The code is NOT valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions.
|Short Description:||Unspecified kyphosis|
|Long Description:||Unspecified kyphosis|
Consider the following ICD-10 codes with a higher level of specificity:
- KYPHOSIS-. deformities of the spine characterized by an exaggerated convexity of the vertebral column. the forward bending of the thoracic region usually is more than 40 degrees. this deformity sometimes is called round back or hunchback.
- SCHEUERMANN DISEASE-. a type of juvenile osteochondrosis affecting the fibrocartilaginous disc intervertebral disc in the thoracic or thoracolumbar region of the spine. it is characterized by a forward concave spinal curvature or kyphosis.
Diseases of the musculoskeletal system and connective tissue (M00–M99)
Deforming dorsopathies (M40-M43)
Kyphosis and lordosis (M40)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020