Diagnosis Code M40.15
Information for Medical Professionals
The diagnosis code M40.15 is grouped in the following Diagnostic Related Group(s) (MS-DRG V35.0)
- 456 - SPINAL FUSION EXCEPT CERVICAL WITH SPINAL CURVATURE OR MALIGNANCY OR INFECTION OR EXTENSIVE FUSIONS WITH MCC
- 457 - SPINAL FUSION EXCEPT CERVICAL WITH SPINAL CURVATURE OR MALIGNANCY OR INFECTION OR EXTENSIVE FUSIONS WITH CC
- 458 - SPINAL FUSION EXCEPT CERVICAL WITH SPINAL CURVATURE OR MALIGNANCY OR INFECTION OR EXTENSIVE FUSIONS WITHOUT CC/MCC
Convert to ICD-9
- 737.41 - Kyphosis in oth dis (Approximate Flag)
Index to Diseases and Injuries
References found for the code M40.15 in the Index to Diseases and Injuries:
Information for Patients
Spine Injuries and Disorders
Your backbone, or spine, is made up of 26 bone discs called vertebrae. The vertebrae protect your spinal cord and allow you to stand and bend. A number of problems can change the structure of the spine or damage the vertebrae and surrounding tissue. They include
- Conditions, such as ankylosing spondylitis and scoliosis
- Bone changes that come with age, such as spinal stenosis and herniated disks
Spinal diseases often cause pain when bone changes put pressure on the spinal cord or nerves. They can also limit movement. Treatments differ by disease, but sometimes they include back braces and surgery.
- Compression fractures of the back (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Foraminotomy (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Kyphosis (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Laminectomy (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Lordosis (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Spinal fusion (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Spine surgery - discharge (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Spondylolisthesis (Medical Encyclopedia)
General Equivalence Map Definitions
The ICD-10 and ICD-9 GEMs are used to facilitate linking between the diagnosis codes in ICD-9-CM and the new ICD-10-CM code set. The GEMs are the raw material from which providers, health information vendors and payers can derive specific applied mappings to meet their needs.
- Approximate Flag - The approximate flag is on, indicating that the relationship between the code in the source system and the code in the target system is an approximate equivalent.
- No Map Flag - The no map flag indicates that a code in the source system is not linked to any code in the target system.
- Combination Flag - The combination flag indicates that more than one code in the target system is required to satisfy the full equivalent meaning of a code in the source system.
Present on Admission
The Present on Admission (POA) indicator is used for diagnosis codes included in claims involving inpatient admissions to general acute care hospitals. POA indicators must be reported to CMS on each claim to facilitate the grouping of diagnoses codes into the proper Diagnostic Related Groups (DRG). CMS publishes a listing of specific diagnosis codes that are exempt from the POA reporting requirement.