Valid for Submission
K81.9 is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of cholecystitis, unspecified. The code is valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code K81.9 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like cholecystitis or cholecystitis without calculus or hyperplastic cholecystitis or xanthogranulomatous cholecystitis.
|Short Description:||Cholecystitis, unspecified|
|Long Description:||Cholecystitis, unspecified|
This code was replaced in the 2020 ICD-10 code set with the code(s) listed below. The National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) has published an update to the ICD-10-CM diagnosis codes which became effective October 1, 2019. This code was replaced for the FY 2020 (October 1, 2019 - September 30, 2020).
- K82.A2 - Perforation of gallbladder in cholecystitis
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code K81.9 are found in the index:
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Cholecystitis without calculus
- Hyperplastic cholecystitis
- Xanthogranulomatous cholecystitis
- CHOLECYSTITIS-. inflammation of the gallbladder; generally caused by impairment of bile flow gallstones in the biliary tract infections or other diseases.
- CHOLECYSTITIS ACUTE-. acute inflammation of the gallbladder wall. it is characterized by the presence of abdominal pain; fever; and leukocytosis. gallstone obstruction of the cystic duct is present in approximately 90% of the cases.
- EMPHYSEMATOUS CHOLECYSTITIS-. a variant of acute cholecystitis with inflammation of the gallbladder that is characterized by the pockets of gas in the gallbladder wall. it is due to secondary infection caused by gas forming organisms and has a high risk of perforation.
- ACALCULOUS CHOLECYSTITIS-. inflammation of the gallbladder wall in the absence of gallstones.
Diagnostic Related Groups
The ICD-10 code K81.9 is grouped in the following groups for version MS-DRG V37.0 What are Diagnostic Related Groups?
The Diagnostic Related Groups (DRGs) are a patient classification scheme which provides a means of relating the type of patients a hospital treats. The DRGs divides all possible principal diagnoses into mutually exclusive principal diagnosis areas referred to as Major Diagnostic Categories (MDC). applicable from 10/01/2019 through 09/30/2020.
- 444 - DISORDERS OF THE BILIARY TRACT WITH MCC
- 445 - DISORDERS OF THE BILIARY TRACT WITH CC
- 446 - DISORDERS OF THE BILIARY TRACT WITHOUT CC/MCC
Convert K81.9 to ICD-9
Diseases of the digestive system (K00–K93)
Disorders of gallbladder, biliary tract and pancreas (K80-K87)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020