Valid for Submission
K38.9 is a billable diagnosis code used to specify a medical diagnosis of disease of appendix, unspecified. The code K38.9 is valid during the fiscal year 2021 from October 01, 2020 through September 30, 2021 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions.
The ICD-10-CM code K38.9 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like disorder of appendix.
Unspecified diagnosis codes like K38.9 are acceptable when clinical information is unknown or not available about a particular condition. Although a more specific code is preferable, unspecified codes should be used when such codes most accurately reflect what is known about a patient's condition. Specific diagnosis codes should not be used if not supported by the patient's medical record.
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code K38.9 are found in the index:
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Disorder of appendix
Diagnostic Related Groups - MS-DRG Mapping
Convert K38.9 to ICD-9 Code
The General Equivalency Mapping (GEM) crosswalk indicates an approximate mapping between the ICD-10 code K38.9 its ICD-9 equivalent. The approximate mapping means there is not an exact match between the ICD-10 code and the ICD-9 code and the mapped code is not a precise representation of the original code.
Information for Patients
Also called: Large intestine diseases
Your colon, also known as the large intestine, is part of your digestive system. It's a long, hollow tube at the end of your digestive tract where your body makes and stores stool. Many disorders affect the colon's ability to work properly. Some of these include
- Colorectal cancer
- Colonic polyps - extra tissue growing in the colon that can become cancerous
- Ulcerative colitis - ulcers of the colon and rectum
- Diverticulitis - inflammation or infection of pouches in the colon
- Irritable bowel syndrome - an uncomfortable condition causing abdominal cramping and other symptoms
Treatment for colonic diseases varies greatly depending on the disease and its severity. Treatment may involve diet, medicines and in some cases, surgery.
NIH: National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
- Angiodysplasia of the colon (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Colitis (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Colonoscopy (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Hirschsprung disease (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Intestinal ischemia and infarction (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Large bowel resection (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Lower GI Series - NIH (National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases)
[Learn More in MedlinePlus]