J98.51 is a billable ICD-10 code used to specify a medical diagnosis of mediastinitis. The code is valid during the fiscal year 2023 from October 01, 2022 through September 30, 2023 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions.
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Acute mediastinitis
- Classical histoplasmosis mediastinal granuloma
- Drug-induced granulomatous mediastinitis
- Familial fibrous mediastinitis
- Granulomatous mediastinitis
- Hemorrhagic mediastinitis
- Infection of lower respiratory tract and mediastinum
- Infectious fibrous mediastinitis
- Infectious granulomatous mediastinitis
- Infectious mediastinitis
- Inflammatory disorder of mediastinum
- Pulmonary venous hypertension due to compression of pulmonary great vein
- Pulmonary venous hypertension due to compression of pulmonary great vein by sclerosing mediastinitis
- Radiation-induced fibrous mediastinitis
- Sclerosing mediastinitis
- Mediastinitis-. inflammation of the mediastinum, the area between the pleural sacs.
- Infectious Mediastinitis|Mediastinal infection-. an acute or chronic infectious process affecting the mediastinum.
- Mediastinitis-. an inflammatory process affecting the mediastinum.
- Radiation-Induced Fibrous Mediastinitis-. fibrous mediastinitis arising due to radiation therapy.
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with coding notes and guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to this diagnosis code:
Code FirstCode First
Certain conditions have both an underlying etiology and multiple body system manifestations due to the underlying etiology. For such conditions, the ICD-10-CM has a coding convention that requires the underlying condition be sequenced first followed by the manifestation. Wherever such a combination exists, there is a "use additional code" note at the etiology code, and a "code first" note at the manifestation code. These instructional notes indicate the proper sequencing order of the codes, etiology followed by manifestation.
- underlying condition, if applicable, such as postoperative mediastinitis T81
Index to Diseases and Injuries References
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for this diagnosis code are found in the injuries and diseases index:
- - Mediastinitis (acute) (chronic) - J98.51
J9851 replaces the following previously assigned ICD-10 code(s):
Convert to ICD-9 Code
|Source ICD-10 Code||Target ICD-9 Code|
|J98.51||519.2 - Mediastinitis|
- FY 2023 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2022 through 9/30/2023
- FY 2022 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2021 through 9/30/2022
- FY 2021 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2020 through 9/30/2021
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018