Valid for Submission
J44.0 is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease with (acute) lower respiratory infection. The code is valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code J44.0 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive airways disease or acute infective exacerbation of chronic obstructive airways disease or chronic obstructive lung disease co-occurrent with acute bronchitis or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease with acute lower respiratory infection.
|Short Description:||Chr obstructive pulmon disease with (acute) lower resp infct|
|Long Description:||Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease with (acute) lower respiratory infection|
Revised 2020 ICD-10 Code
J44.0 was revised for the FY 2020, effective October 1, 2019.
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to the code J44.0:
Code Also Code Also
A "code also" note instructs that two codes may be required to fully describe a condition, but this note does not provide sequencing direction.
- to identify the infection
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code J44.0 are found in the index:
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive airways disease
- Acute infective exacerbation of chronic obstructive airways disease
- Chronic obstructive lung disease co-occurrent with acute bronchitis
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease with acute lower respiratory infection
Diagnostic Related Groups
The ICD-10 code J44.0 is grouped in the following groups for version MS-DRG V37.0 What are Diagnostic Related Groups?
The Diagnostic Related Groups (DRGs) are a patient classification scheme which provides a means of relating the type of patients a hospital treats. The DRGs divides all possible principal diagnoses into mutually exclusive principal diagnosis areas referred to as Major Diagnostic Categories (MDC). applicable from 10/01/2019 through 09/30/2020.
- 190 - CHRONIC OBSTRUCTIVE PULMONARY DISEASE WITH MCC
- 191 - CHRONIC OBSTRUCTIVE PULMONARY DISEASE WITH CC
- 192 - CHRONIC OBSTRUCTIVE PULMONARY DISEASE WITHOUT CC/MCC
Convert J44.0 to ICD-9
- 491.22 - Obs chr bronc w ac bronc (Approximate Flag)
- 493.21 - Ch ob asthma w stat asth (Approximate Flag)
Diseases of the respiratory system (J00–J99)
Chronic lower respiratory diseases (J40-J47)
Other chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (J44)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - Code Updated, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020
- New Description: Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease with (acute) lower respiratory infection
- Previous Description: Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease with acute lower respiratory infection