Valid for Submission
J43.9 is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of emphysema, unspecified. The code is valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code J43.9 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like acute vesicular emphysema, atrophic emphysema, bulla of lung, bullous emphysema with collapse, chronic bullous emphysema, chronic hemolytic anemia, etc
|Short Description:||Emphysema, unspecified|
|Long Description:||Emphysema, unspecified|
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to the code J43.9:
Inclusion Terms Inclusion Terms
These terms are the conditions for which that code is to be used. The terms may be synonyms of the code title, or, in the case of "other specified" codes, the terms are a list of the various conditions assigned to that code. The inclusion terms are not necessarily exhaustive. Additional terms found only in the Alphabetic Index may also be assigned to a code.
- Bullous emphysema (lung)(pulmonary)
- Emphysema (lung)(pulmonary) NOS
- Emphysematous bleb
- Vesicular emphysema (lung)(pulmonary)
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code J43.9 are found in the index:
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Acute vesicular emphysema
- Atrophic emphysema
- Bulla of lung
- Bullous emphysema with collapse
- Chronic bullous emphysema
- Chronic hemolytic anemia
- Emphysematous bleb of lung
- Giant bullous emphysema
- Hemolytic anemia with emphysema AND cutis laxa
- Lung cyst
- Obstructive emphysema
- Paraseptal emphysema
- Pulmonary emphysema
- Pulmonary emphysema co-occurrent with fibrosis of lung
- Pulmonary emphysema in alpha-1 PI deficiency
- Ruptured emphysematous bleb of lung
- Segmental bullous emphysema
- Vanishing lung
- Zonal bullous emphysema
- EMPHYSEMA-. a pathological accumulation of air in tissues or organs.
- MEDIASTINAL EMPHYSEMA-. presence of air in the mediastinal tissues due to leakage of air from the tracheobronchial tree usually as a result of trauma.
- PNEUMONIA ATYPICAL INTERSTITIAL OF CATTLE-. a cattle disease of uncertain cause probably an allergic reaction.
- PULMONARY EMPHYSEMA-. enlargement of air spaces distal to the terminal bronchioles where gas exchange normally takes place. this is usually due to destruction of the alveolar wall. pulmonary emphysema can be classified by the location and distribution of the lesions.
- SUBCUTANEOUS EMPHYSEMA-. presence of air or gas in the subcutaneous tissues of the body.
- EMPHYSEMATOUS CHOLECYSTITIS-. a variant of acute cholecystitis with inflammation of the gallbladder that is characterized by the pockets of gas in the gallbladder wall. it is due to secondary infection caused by gas forming organisms and has a high risk of perforation.
Diagnostic Related Groups
The ICD-10 code J43.9 is grouped in the following groups for version MS-DRG V37.0 What are Diagnostic Related Groups?
The Diagnostic Related Groups (DRGs) are a patient classification scheme which provides a means of relating the type of patients a hospital treats. The DRGs divides all possible principal diagnoses into mutually exclusive principal diagnosis areas referred to as Major Diagnostic Categories (MDC). applicable from 10/01/2020 through 09/30/2020.
- 190 - CHRONIC OBSTRUCTIVE PULMONARY DISEASE WITH MCC
- 191 - CHRONIC OBSTRUCTIVE PULMONARY DISEASE WITH CC
- 192 - CHRONIC OBSTRUCTIVE PULMONARY DISEASE WITHOUT CC/MCC
Convert J43.9 to ICD-9
- 492.0 - Emphysematous bleb (Approximate Flag)
- 492.8 - Emphysema NEC (Approximate Flag)
Diseases of the respiratory system (J00–J99)
Chronic lower respiratory diseases (J40-J47)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020