Valid for Submission
J21.1 is a billable diagnosis code used to specify a medical diagnosis of acute bronchiolitis due to human metapneumovirus. The code J21.1 is valid during the fiscal year 2021 from October 01, 2020 through September 30, 2021 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions.
The ICD-10-CM code J21.1 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like acute bronchiolitis, acute viral bronchiolitis, bronchiolitis due to human metapneumovirus or human metapneumovirus infection.
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code J21.1 are found in the index:
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Acute bronchiolitis
- Acute viral bronchiolitis
- Bronchiolitis due to Human metapneumovirus
- Human metapneumovirus infection
Diagnostic Related Groups - MS-DRG Mapping
Convert J21.1 to ICD-9 Code
The General Equivalency Mapping (GEM) crosswalk indicates an approximate mapping between the ICD-10 code J21.1 its ICD-9 equivalent. The approximate mapping means there is not an exact match between the ICD-10 code and the ICD-9 code and the mapped code is not a precise representation of the original code.
Information for Patients
When you breathe in, the air travels down through your trachea (windpipe). It then goes through two tubes to your lungs. These tubes are your bronchi. Bronchial disorders can make it hard for you to breathe.
The most common problem with the bronchi is bronchitis, an inflammation of the tubes. It can be acute or chronic. Other problems include
- Bronchiectasis - a condition in which damage to the airways causes them to widen and become flabby and scarred
- Exercise-induced bronchospasm - a breathing problem that happens when your airways shrink while you are exercising
- Bronchiolitis - an inflammation of the small airways that branch off from the bronchi
- Bronchopulmonary dysplasia - a chronic lung condition in infants, most often premature infants
- Bronchiectasis (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Bronchiolitis (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Bronchiolitis - discharge (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Bronchopulmonary dysplasia (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Postural drainage (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Tracheal rupture (Medical Encyclopedia)
[Learn More in MedlinePlus]