Valid for Submission
I70.90 is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of unspecified atherosclerosis. The code is valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code I70.90 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like abnormal diffuse intimal thickening of artery, acute occlusion of artery, arteriosclerosis obliterans, arteriosclerotic vascular disease, arteriovascular degeneration, asymptomatic occlusion of artery, etc
The code I70.90 is applicable to adult patients aged 15 through 124 years inclusive. It is clinically and virtually impossible to use this code on a patient outside the stated age range.
|Short Description:||Unspecified atherosclerosis|
|Long Description:||Unspecified atherosclerosis|
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code I70.90 are found in the index:
The Medicare Code Editor (MCE) detects and reports errors in the coding of claims data. The following ICD-10 Code Edits are applicable to this code:
- Adult diagnoses - Adult. Age range is 15–124 years inclusive (e.g., senile delirium, mature cataract).
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Abnormal diffuse intimal thickening of artery
- Acute occlusion of artery
- Arteriosclerosis obliterans
- Arteriosclerotic vascular disease
- Arteriovascular degeneration
- Asymptomatic occlusion of artery
- Atheroma of artery
- Atherosclerosis of artery
- Atherosclerosis, deafness, diabetes, epilepsy, nephropathy syndrome
- Atherosclerotic occlusive disease
- Atherosclerotic plaque disruption with thrombosis of artery
- Diabetes mellitus associated with genetic syndrome
- Endarteritis deformans
- Endarteritis obliterans
- Hardened arteries
- Ischemic ulcer of lower leg due to atherosclerotic disease
- Senile arteriosclerosis
- Senile arteritis
- Senile endarteritis
- Vascular degeneration
- INTRACRANIAL ARTERIOSCLEROSIS-. vascular diseases characterized by thickening and hardening of the walls of arteries inside the skull. there are three subtypes: 1 atherosclerosis with fatty deposits in the arterial intima; 2 monckeberg's sclerosis with calcium deposits in the media and 3 arteriolosclerosis involving the small caliber arteries. clinical signs include headache; confusion; transient blindness amaurosis fugax; speech impairment; and hemiparesis.
- CORONARY ARTERY DISEASE-. pathological processes of coronary arteries that may derive from a congenital abnormality atherosclerotic or non atherosclerotic cause.
- ATHEROSCLEROSIS-. a thickening and loss of elasticity of the walls of arteries that occurs with formation of atherosclerotic plaques within the arterial intima.
Diagnostic Related Groups
The ICD-10 code I70.90 is grouped in the following groups for version MS-DRG V37.0 What are Diagnostic Related Groups?
The Diagnostic Related Groups (DRGs) are a patient classification scheme which provides a means of relating the type of patients a hospital treats. The DRGs divides all possible principal diagnoses into mutually exclusive principal diagnosis areas referred to as Major Diagnostic Categories (MDC). applicable from 10/01/2019 through 09/30/2020.
- 299 - PERIPHERAL VASCULAR DISORDERS WITH MCC
- 300 - PERIPHERAL VASCULAR DISORDERS WITH CC
- 301 - PERIPHERAL VASCULAR DISORDERS WITHOUT CC/MCC
Convert I70.90 to ICD-9
- 440.9 - Atherosclerosis NOS (Approximate Flag)
Diseases of the circulatory system (I00–I99)
Diseases of arteries, arterioles and capillaries (I70-I79)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020