Diagnosis Code I65.21
Information for Medical Professionals
The ICD-10 and ICD-9 GEMs are used to facilitate linking between the diagnosis codes in ICD-9-CM and the new ICD-10-CM code set. The GEMs are the raw material from which providers, health information vendors and payers can derive specific applied mappings to meet their needs.
- 433.10 - Ocl crtd art wo infrct (approximate) Approximate Flag
The approximate flag is on, indicating that the relationship between the code in the source system and the code in the target system is an approximate equivalent.
- Carotid artery occlusion
- Carotid artery thrombosis
- Head and neck arterial thrombosis
- Internal carotid artery stenosis
- Right carotid artery occlusion
- Right carotid artery stenosis
- Stenosis of cavernous portion of right internal carotid artery
- Stenosis of intracranial vessel
- Stenosis of precerebral artery
- Thrombosis of internal carotid artery
- Thrombosis of right internal carotid artery
Information for Patients
Your carotid arteries are two large blood vessels in your neck. They supply your brain with blood. If you have carotid artery disease, the arteries become narrow, usually because of atherosclerosis. This is the buildup of cholesterol and other material in an artery. If a blood clot sticks in the narrowed arteries, blood can't reach your brain. This is one of the causes of stroke.
Carotid artery disease often does not cause symptoms, but there are tests that can tell your doctor if you have it. If the arteries are very narrow, you may need an operation called an endarterectomy to remove the plaque. For less severe narrowing, a medicine to prevent blood clots can reduce your risk of stroke. Another option for people who can't have surgery is carotid angioplasty. This involves placing balloons and/or stents into the artery to open it and hold it open.
- Angioplasty and stent placement - carotid artery (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Carotid artery disease (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Carotid artery stenosis -- self-care (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Carotid artery surgery (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Carotid artery surgery - discharge (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Carotid duplex (Medical Encyclopedia)