Valid for Submission
I50.89 is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of other heart failure. The code is valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions.
|Short Description:||Other heart failure|
|Long Description:||Other heart failure|
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code I50.89 are found in the index:
- HEART FAILURE-. a heterogeneous condition in which the heart is unable to pump out sufficient blood to meet the metabolic need of the body. heart failure can be caused by structural defects functional abnormalities ventricular dysfunction or a sudden overload beyond its capacity. chronic heart failure is more common than acute heart failure which results from sudden insult to cardiac function such as myocardial infarction.
- HEART FAILURE SYSTOLIC-. heart failure caused by abnormal myocardial contraction during systole leading to defective cardiac emptying.
- HEART FAILURE DIASTOLIC-. heart failure caused by abnormal myocardial relaxation during diastole leading to defective cardiac filling.
Diagnostic Related Groups
The ICD-10 code I50.89 is grouped in the following groups for version MS-DRG V37.0 What are Diagnostic Related Groups?
The Diagnostic Related Groups (DRGs) are a patient classification scheme which provides a means of relating the type of patients a hospital treats. The DRGs divides all possible principal diagnoses into mutually exclusive principal diagnosis areas referred to as Major Diagnostic Categories (MDC). applicable from 10/01/2020 through 09/30/2020.
- 222 - CARDIAC DEFIBRILLATOR IMPLANT WITH CARDIAC CATHETERIZATION WITH AMI/HF/SHOCK WITH MCC
- 223 - CARDIAC DEFIBRILLATOR IMPLANT WITH CARDIAC CATHETERIZATION WITH AMI/HF/SHOCK WITHOUT MCC
I5089 replaces the following previously assigned ICD-10 code(s):
- I50.9 - Heart failure, unspecified
Convert I50.89 to ICD-9
- 428.9 - Heart failure NOS (Approximate Flag)
Diseases of the circulatory system (I00–I99)
Other forms of heart disease (I30-I52)
- FY 2018 - Code Added, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020