Valid for Submission
F40.10 is a billable diagnosis code used to specify a medical diagnosis of social phobia, unspecified. The code F40.10 is valid during the fiscal year 2022 from October 01, 2021 through September 30, 2022 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions.
The ICD-10-CM code F40.10 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like fear of activities in public, fear of appearing ridiculous, fear of being in a small group, fear of being laughed at, fear of being watched , fear of saying the wrong thing, etc.
Unspecified diagnosis codes like F40.10 are acceptable when clinical information is unknown or not available about a particular condition. Although a more specific code is preferable, unspecified codes should be used when such codes most accurately reflect what is known about a patient's condition. Specific diagnosis codes should not be used if not supported by the patient's medical record.
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code F40.10 are found in the index:
- - Anthropophobia - F40.10
- - Disorder (of) - See Also: Disease;
- - Disturbance (s) - See Also: Disease;
- - Xenophobia - F40.10
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Fear of activities in public
- Fear of appearing ridiculous
- Fear of being in a small group
- Fear of being laughed at
- Fear of being watched
- Fear of saying the wrong thing
- Fear of social gatherings
- Fear of social group activities
- Fear of speaking on the phone
- Fear of speaking to people in authority
- Fear of writing in public
- Shyness disorder of childhood
- Social fear
- Social phobia
- Social phobia, fear of eating in public
- Social phobia, fear of public speaking
- Social phobia, fear of public washing
- PHOBIA SOCIAL-. anxiety disorder characterized by the persistent and irrational fear anxiety or avoidance of social or performance situations.
Convert F40.10 to ICD-9 Code
The General Equivalency Mapping (GEM) crosswalk indicates an approximate mapping between the ICD-10 code F40.10 its ICD-9 equivalent. The approximate mapping means there is not an exact match between the ICD-10 code and the ICD-9 code and the mapped code is not a precise representation of the original code.
Information for Patients
A phobia is a type of anxiety disorder. It is a strong, irrational fear of something that poses little or no real danger.
There are many specific phobias. Acrophobia is a fear of heights. Agoraphobia is a fear of public places, and claustrophobia is a fear of closed-in places. If you become anxious and extremely self-conscious in everyday social situations, you could have a social phobia. Other common phobias involve tunnels, highway driving, water, flying, animals and blood.
People with phobias try to avoid what they are afraid of. If they cannot, they may experience
- Panic and fear
- Rapid heartbeat
- Shortness of breath
- A strong desire to get away
Phobias usually start in children or teens, and continue into adulthood. The causes of specific phobias are not known, but they sometimes run in families.
Treatment helps most people with phobias. Options include medicines, therapy or both.
NIH: National Institute of Mental Health
[Learn More in MedlinePlus]