D89.839 is a billable ICD-10 code used to specify a medical diagnosis of cytokine release syndrome, grade unspecified. The code is valid during the fiscal year 2023 from October 01, 2022 through September 30, 2023 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions.
This code describes a circumstance which influences the patient's health status but not a current illness or injury. The code is unacceptable as a principal diagnosis.
Unspecified diagnosis codes like D89.839 are acceptable when clinical information is unknown or not available about a particular condition. Although a more specific code is preferable, unspecified codes should be used when such codes most accurately reflect what is known about a patient's condition. Specific diagnosis codes should not be used if not supported by the patient's medical record.
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Cytokine release syndrome
- Immune system complication of procedure
- Cytokine Release Syndrome-. a severe immune reaction characterized by excessive release of cytokines. symptoms include dyspnea; fever; headache; hypotension; nausea; rash; tachycardia; hypoxia; hyperferritinemia, and multiple organ failure. it is associated with viral infections, sepsis; autoimmune diseases and a variety of factors used in immunotherapy.
Index to Diseases and Injuries References
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for this diagnosis code are found in the injuries and diseases index:
The Medicare Code Editor (MCE) detects and reports errors in the coding of claims data. The following ICD-10 Code Edits are applicable to this code:
D89839 replaces the following previously assigned ICD-10 code(s):
- FY 2023 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2022 through 9/30/2023
- FY 2022 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2021 through 9/30/2022
- FY 2021 - Code Added, effective from 10/1/2020 through 9/30/2021