Not Valid for Submission
D89.81 is a "header" nonspecific and non-billable code code, consider using a code with a higher level of specificity for a diagnosis of graft-versus-host disease. The code is NOT valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions.
|Short Description:||Graft-versus-host disease|
|Long Description:||Graft-versus-host disease|
Consider the following ICD-10 codes with a higher level of specificity:
- D89.810 - Acute graft-versus-host disease
- D89.811 - Chronic graft-versus-host disease
- D89.812 - Acute on chronic graft-versus-host disease
- D89.813 - ... unspecified
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to the code D89.81:
Code First Code First
Certain conditions have both an underlying etiology and multiple body system manifestations due to the underlying etiology. For such conditions, the ICD-10-CM has a coding convention that requires the underlying condition be sequenced first followed by the manifestation. Wherever such a combination exists, there is a "use additional code" note at the etiology code, and a "code first" note at the manifestation code. These instructional notes indicate the proper sequencing order of the codes, etiology followed by manifestation.
- underlying cause, such as:
- complications of transplanted organs and tissue T86
- complications of blood transfusion T80.89
Use Additional Code Use Additional Code
The “use additional code” indicates that a secondary code could be used to further specify the patient’s condition. This note is not mandatory and is only used if enough information is available to assign an additional code.
- code to identify associated manifestations, such as:
- desquamative dermatitis L30.8
- diarrhea R19.7
- elevated bilirubin R17
- hair loss L65.9
- GRAFT VS HOST DISEASE-. the clinical entity characterized by anorexia diarrhea loss of hair leukopenia thrombocytopenia growth retardation and eventual death brought about by the graft vs host reaction.
Diseases of the blood and blood-forming organs and certain disorders involving the immune mechanism (D50–D89)
Certain disorders involving the immune mechanism (D80-D89)
Oth disorders involving the immune mechanism, NEC (D89)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020