Valid for Submission
C4A.9 is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of merkel cell carcinoma, unspecified. The code is valid for the fiscal year 2021 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code C4A.9 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like merkel cell carcinoma.
|Short Description:||Merkel cell carcinoma, unspecified|
|Long Description:||Merkel cell carcinoma, unspecified|
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to the code C4A.9:
Inclusion Terms Inclusion Terms
These terms are the conditions for which that code is to be used. The terms may be synonyms of the code title, or, in the case of "other specified" codes, the terms are a list of the various conditions assigned to that code. The inclusion terms are not necessarily exhaustive. Additional terms found only in the Alphabetic Index may also be assigned to a code.
- Merkel cell carcinoma of unspecified site
- Merkel cell carcinoma NOS
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code C4A.9 are found in the index:
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- CARCINOMA MERKEL CELL-. a carcinoma arising from merkel cells located in the basal layer of the epidermis and occurring most commonly as a primary neuroendocrine carcinoma of the skin. merkel cells are tactile cells of neuroectodermal origin and histologically show neurosecretory granules. the skin of the head and neck are a common site of merkel cell carcinoma occurring generally in elderly patients. holland et al. cancer medicine 3d ed p1245
Diagnostic Related Groups
The ICD-10 code C4A.9 is grouped in the following groups for version MS-DRG V38.0 What are Diagnostic Related Groups?
The Diagnostic Related Groups (DRGs) are a patient classification scheme which provides a means of relating the type of patients a hospital treats. The DRGs divides all possible principal diagnoses into mutually exclusive principal diagnosis areas referred to as Major Diagnostic Categories (MDC). applicable from 10/01/2020 through 09/30/2021.
- 595 - MAJOR SKIN DISORDERS WITH MCC
- 596 - MAJOR SKIN DISORDERS WITHOUT MCC
Convert C4A.9 to ICD-9
- 209.36 - Merkel cell ca-oth sites (Approximate Flag)
Melanoma and other malignant neoplasms of skin (C43-C44)
Merkel cell carcinoma (C4A)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020
- FY 2021 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2020 through 9/30/2021