Valid for Submission
B97.6 is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of parvovirus as the cause of diseases classified elsewhere. The code is valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code B97.6 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like arthropathy associated with viral disease, disease due to parvoviridae, disease due to parvoviridae, parvo virus arthritis, parvovirus infection, parvovirus infection of the central nervous system, etc
The code B97.6 describes a circumstance which influences the patient's health status but not a current illness or injury. The code is unacceptable as a principal diagnosis.
|Short Description:||Parvovirus as the cause of diseases classified elsewhere|
|Long Description:||Parvovirus as the cause of diseases classified elsewhere|
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code B97.6 are found in the index:
The Medicare Code Editor (MCE) detects and reports errors in the coding of claims data. The following ICD-10 Code Edits are applicable to this code:
- Unacceptable principal diagnosis - There are selected codes that describe a circumstance which influences an individual’s health status but not a current illness or injury, or codes that are not specific manifestations but may be due to an underlying cause. These codes are considered unacceptable as a principal diagnosis.
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Arthropathy associated with viral disease
- Disease due to Parvoviridae
- Disease due to Parvoviridae
- Parvo virus arthritis
- Parvovirus infection
- Parvovirus infection of the central nervous system
Diagnostic Related Groups
The ICD-10 code B97.6 is grouped in the following groups for version MS-DRG V37.0 What are Diagnostic Related Groups?
The Diagnostic Related Groups (DRGs) are a patient classification scheme which provides a means of relating the type of patients a hospital treats. The DRGs divides all possible principal diagnoses into mutually exclusive principal diagnosis areas referred to as Major Diagnostic Categories (MDC). applicable from 10/01/2019 through 09/30/2020.
- 865 - VIRAL ILLNESS WITH MCC
- 866 - VIRAL ILLNESS WITHOUT MCC
Convert B97.6 to ICD-9
- 079.89 - Oth specf viral infectn (Approximate Flag)
Certain infectious and parasitic diseases (A00–B99)
Bacterial and viral infectious agents (B95-B97)
Viral agents as the cause of diseases classified elsewhere (B97)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020