Valid for Submission
B58.9 is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of toxoplasmosis, unspecified. The code is valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code B58.9 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like coccidiosis co-occurrent with human immunodeficiency virus infection, infection caused by coccidia co-occurrent with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome, infection caused by toxoplasma, infection caused by toxoplasma gondii co-occurrent with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome, multisystemic disseminated toxoplasmosis, piringer-kuchinka's syndrome, etc
|Short Description:||Toxoplasmosis, unspecified|
|Long Description:||Toxoplasmosis, unspecified|
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code B58.9 are found in the index:
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Coccidiosis co-occurrent with human immunodeficiency virus infection
- Infection caused by Coccidia co-occurrent with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome
- Infection caused by Toxoplasma
- Infection caused by Toxoplasma gondii co-occurrent with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome
- Multisystemic disseminated toxoplasmosis
- Piringer-Kuchinka's syndrome
- Toxoplasmosis of multiple sites
- TOXOPLASMOSIS-. the acquired form of infection by toxoplasma gondii in animals and man.
- TOXOPLASMOSIS ANIMAL-. acquired infection of non human animals by organisms of the genus toxoplasma.
- TOXOPLASMOSIS CONGENITAL-. prenatal protozoal infection with toxoplasma gondii which is associated with injury to the developing fetal nervous system. the severity of this condition is related to the stage of pregnancy during which the infection occurs; first trimester infections are associated with a greater degree of neurologic dysfunction. clinical features include hydrocephalus; microcephaly; deafness; cerebral calcifications; seizures; and psychomotor retardation. signs of a systemic infection may also be present at birth including fever rash and hepatosplenomegaly. from adams et al. principles of neurology 6th ed p735
- TOXOPLASMOSIS OCULAR-. infection caused by the protozoan parasite toxoplasma in which there is extensive connective tissue proliferation the retina surrounding the lesions remains normal and the ocular media remain clear. chorioretinitis may be associated with all forms of toxoplasmosis but is usually a late sequel of congenital toxoplasmosis. the severe ocular lesions in infants may lead to blindness.
- TOXOPLASMOSIS CEREBRAL-. infections of the brain caused by the protozoan toxoplasma gondii that primarily arise in individuals with immunologic deficiency syndromes see also aids related opportunistic infections. the infection may involve the brain diffusely or form discrete abscesses. clinical manifestations include seizures altered mentation headache focal neurologic deficits and intracranial hypertension. from joynt clinical neurology 1998 ch27 pp41 3
Diagnostic Related Groups
The ICD-10 code B58.9 is grouped in the following groups for version MS-DRG V37.0 What are Diagnostic Related Groups?
The Diagnostic Related Groups (DRGs) are a patient classification scheme which provides a means of relating the type of patients a hospital treats. The DRGs divides all possible principal diagnoses into mutually exclusive principal diagnosis areas referred to as Major Diagnostic Categories (MDC). applicable from 10/01/2019 through 09/30/2020.
- 867 - OTHER INFECTIOUS AND PARASITIC DISEASES DIAGNOSES WITH MCC
- 868 - OTHER INFECTIOUS AND PARASITIC DISEASES DIAGNOSES WITH CC
- 869 - OTHER INFECTIOUS AND PARASITIC DISEASES DIAGNOSES WITHOUT CC/MCC
Convert B58.9 to ICD-9
- 130.9 - Toxoplasmosis NOS
Certain infectious and parasitic diseases (A00–B99)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020