Not Valid for Submission
B27.8 is a "header" nonspecific and non-billable code code, consider using a code with a higher level of specificity for a diagnosis of other infectious mononucleosis. The code is NOT valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions.
|Short Description:||Other infectious mononucleosis|
|Long Description:||Other infectious mononucleosis|
Consider the following ICD-10 codes with a higher level of specificity:
- B27.80 - Other infectious mononucleosis without complication
- B27.81 - Other infectious mononucleosis with polyneuropathy
- B27.82 - Other infectious mononucleosis with meningitis
- B27.89 - Other infectious mononucleosis with other complication
- HERPESVIRUS 4 HUMAN-. the type species of lymphocryptovirus subfamily gammaherpesvirinae infecting b cells in humans. it is thought to be the causative agent of infectious mononucleosis and is strongly associated with oral hairy leukoplakia leukoplakia hairy; burkitt lymphoma; and other malignancies.
- INFECTIOUS MONONUCLEOSIS-. a common acute infection usually caused by the epstein barr virus herpesvirus 4 human. there is an increase in mononuclear white blood cells and other atypical lymphocytes generalized lymphadenopathy splenomegaly and occasionally hepatomegaly with hepatitis.
- FATIGUE SYNDROME CHRONIC-. a syndrome characterized by persistent or recurrent fatigue diffuse musculoskeletal pain sleep disturbances and subjective cognitive impairment of 6 months duration or longer. symptoms are not caused by ongoing exertion; are not relieved by rest; and result in a substantial reduction of previous levels of occupational educational social or personal activities. minor alterations of immune neuroendocrine and autonomic function may be associated with this syndrome. there is also considerable overlap between this condition and fibromyalgia. from semin neurol 1998;182:237 42; ann intern med 1994 dec 15;12112: 953 9
Certain infectious and parasitic diseases (A00–B99)
Other viral diseases (B25-B34)
Infectious mononucleosis (B27)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020