Valid for Submission
A39.9 is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of meningococcal infection, unspecified. The code is valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code A39.9 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like invasive meningococcal disease or meningococcal infectious disease or severe sepsis with acute organ dysfunction due to meningococcus.
|Short Description:||Meningococcal infection, unspecified|
|Long Description:||Meningococcal infection, unspecified|
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to the code A39.9:
Inclusion Terms Inclusion Terms
These terms are the conditions for which that code is to be used. The terms may be synonyms of the code title, or, in the case of "other specified" codes, the terms are a list of the various conditions assigned to that code. The inclusion terms are not necessarily exhaustive. Additional terms found only in the Alphabetic Index may also be assigned to a code.
- Meningococcal disease NOS
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code A39.9 are found in the index:
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Invasive meningococcal disease
- Meningococcal infectious disease
- Severe sepsis with acute organ dysfunction due to Meningococcus
- MENINGOCOCCAL INFECTIONS-. infections with bacteria of the species neisseria meningitidis.
Diagnostic Related Groups
The ICD-10 code A39.9 is grouped in the following groups for version MS-DRG V37.0 What are Diagnostic Related Groups?
The Diagnostic Related Groups (DRGs) are a patient classification scheme which provides a means of relating the type of patients a hospital treats. The DRGs divides all possible principal diagnoses into mutually exclusive principal diagnosis areas referred to as Major Diagnostic Categories (MDC). applicable from 10/01/2020 through 09/30/2020.
- 870 - SEPTICEMIA OR SEVERE SEPSIS WITH MV >96 HOURS
- 871 - SEPTICEMIA OR SEVERE SEPSIS WITHOUT MV >96 HOURS WITH MCC
- 872 - SEPTICEMIA OR SEVERE SEPSIS WITHOUT MV >96 HOURS WITHOUT MCC
Convert A39.9 to ICD-9
- 036.9 - Meningococcal infect NOS
Certain infectious and parasitic diseases (A00–B99)
Other bacterial diseases (A30-A49)
Meningococcal infection (A39)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020