ICD-9 Diagnosis Code E905.7

Poisoning by other plant

Diagnosis Code E905.7

ICD-9: E905.7
Short Description: Poisoning by other plant
Long Description: Poisoning and toxic reactions caused by other plants
This is the 2014 version of the ICD-9-CM diagnosis code E905.7

Code Classification
  • External causes of injury
    • Accidents due to natural and environmental factors (E900-E909)
      • E905 Venomous animals and plants as the cause of poisoning and toxic reactions

Information for Patients

Poison Ivy, Oak and Sumac

Also called: Ivy poison, Rhus dermatitis, Toxicodendron dermatitis

If you spend time outdoors, chances are you have been bothered by poison ivy, poison oak or poison sumac at some point. Most people are sensitive to the plants' oily sap. The sap is in the root, stems, leaves and fruit of these plants. If it gets on your skin, it causes a blistering skin rash. The rash can range from mild to severe, depending on how much sap gets on your skin and how sensitive you are to it. Problems can also happen if the plants are burned. Airborne sap-coated soot can get into the eyes, nose, throat and respiratory system.

The best way to avoid the rash is to learn what the plants look like and stay away from them. If you come into contact with the plants, wash your skin and clothing right away. If you develop a rash, ask your pharmacist about over-the-counter medicines. For severe rashes, see your doctor.

National Park Service

  • Poison ivy - oak - sumac
  • Poison ivy - oak - sumac rash

[Read More]


A poison is any substance that is harmful to your body. You might swallow it, inhale it, inject it, or absorb it through your skin. Any substance can be poisonous if too much is taken. Poisons can include

  • Prescription or over-the-counter medicines taken in doses that are too high
  • Overdoses of illegal drugs
  • Carbon monoxide from gas appliances
  • Household products, such as laundry powder or furniture polish
  • Pesticides
  • Indoor or outdoor plants
  • Metals such as lead and mercury

The effects of poisoning range from short-term illness to brain damage, coma, and death. To prevent poisoning it is important to use and store products exactly as their labels say. Keep dangerous products where children can't get to them. Treatment for poisoning depends on the type of poison. If you suspect someone has been poisoned, call your local poison control center right away.

  • Poisoning
  • Poisoning first aid
  • Toxicology screen

[Read More]
Previous Code
Previous Code E905.6
Next Code
E905.8 Next Code