Diagnosis Code Z49.3
Information for Patients
Also called: Renal dialysis
When your kidneys are healthy, they clean your blood. They also make hormones that keep your bones strong and your blood healthy. When your kidneys fail, you need treatment to replace the work your kidneys used to do. Unless you have a kidney transplant, you will need a treatment called dialysis.
There are two main types of dialysis. Both types filter your blood to rid your body of harmful wastes, extra salt, and water.
- Hemodialysis uses a machine. It is sometimes called an artificial kidney. You usually go to a special clinic for treatments several times a week.
- Peritoneal dialysis uses the lining of your abdomen, called the peritoneal membrane, to filter your blood.
NIH: National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
- Central venous catheter - dressing change
- Central venous catheter - flushing
- Central venous catheters - ports
- Dialysis -- hemodialysis
- Dialysis centers -- what to expect
- Hemodialysis access -- self care
- Hemodialysis access procedures
- Taking care of your vascular access for hemodialysis