Diagnosis Code Z20.1
Information for Medical Professionals
The following edits are applicable to this code:
Unacceptable principal diagnosis Unacceptable principal diagnosis
There are selected codes that describe a circumstance which influences an individual’s health status but not a current illness or injury, or codes that are not specific manifestations but may be due to an underlying cause. These codes are considered unacceptable as a principal diagnosis.
Convert to ICD-9 General Equivalence Map
The ICD-10 and ICD-9 GEMs are used to facilitate linking between the diagnosis codes in ICD-9-CM and the new ICD-10-CM code set. The GEMs are the raw material from which providers, health information vendors and payers can derive specific applied mappings to meet their needs.
- V01.1 - Tuberculosis contact
- Exposure to Mycobacterium tuberculosis
- Exposure to tuberculosis
Information for Patients
Also called: TB
Tuberculosis (TB) is a disease caused by bacteria called Mycobacterium tuberculosis. The bacteria usually attack the lungs, but they can also damage other parts of the body.
TB spreads through the air when a person with TB of the lungs or throat coughs, sneezes, or talks. If you have been exposed, you should go to your doctor for tests. You are more likely to get TB if you have a weak immune system.
Symptoms of TB in the lungs may include
- A bad cough that lasts 3 weeks or longer
- Weight loss
- Loss of appetite
- Coughing up blood or mucus
- Weakness or fatigue
- Night sweats
Skin tests, blood tests, x-rays, and other tests can tell if you have TB. If not treated properly, TB can be deadly. You can usually cure active TB by taking several medicines for a long period of time.
NIH: National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
- Acid-fast stain (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Coughing up blood (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Disseminated tuberculosis (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Meningitis - tuberculous (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Multidrug-Resistant Tuberculosis (MDR TB) (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- PPD skin test (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Pulmonary tuberculosis (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Taking medicines to treat tuberculosis (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Tuberculosis Facts - Exposure to TB (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Tuberculosis Facts - TB Can Be Treated (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Tuberculosis Facts - Testing for TB (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Tuberculosis Facts - You Can Prevent TB (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Tuberculosis: General Information (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)