Diagnosis Code Y01
Information for Medical Professionals
References found for the code Y01 in the Index of Diseases and Injuries:
- 7th Characters: 7th Characters
Certain ICD-10-CM categories have applicable 7th characters. The applicable 7th character is required for all codes within the category, or as the notes in the Tabular List instruct. The 7th character must always be the 7th character in the data field. If a code that requires a 7th character is not 6 characters, a placeholder X must be used to fill in the empty characters.
- The appropriate 7th character is to be added to code Y01
Index of External Cause of Injuries
References found for the code Y01 in the External Cause of Injuries Index:
- Assault(homicidal) (by) (in)
- from high place
- Pushed, pushing(accidental) (injury in)
- by other person (s) (accidental)
- high place NEC
- stated as
- intentional, homicide (attempt)
- high place, homicide (attempt)
Information for Patients
A fall can change your life. If you're elderly, it can lead to disability and a loss of independence. If your bones are fragile from osteoporosis, you could break a bone, often a hip. But aging alone doesn't make people fall. Diabetes and heart disease affect balance. So do problems with circulation, thyroid or nervous systems. Some medicines make people dizzy. Eye problems or alcohol can be factors. Any of these things can make a fall more likely. Babies and young children are also at risk of falling - off of furniture and down stairs, for example.
Falls and accidents seldom "just happen." Taking care of your health by exercising and getting regular eye exams and physicals may help reduce your chance of falling. Getting rid of tripping hazards in your home and wearing nonskid shoes may also help. To reduce the chances of breaking a bone if you do fall, make sure that you get enough calcium and vitamin D.
NIH: National Institute on Aging
- After a fall in the hospital (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Bathroom safety - adults (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Exercises to help prevent falls (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Preventing falls (Medical Encyclopedia)