Diagnosis Code T73.0XXS
Information for Medical Professionals
The diagnosis code T73.0XXS is grouped in the following Diagnostic Related Group(s) (MS-DRG V34.0)
- 922 - OTHER INJURY, POISONING AND TOXIC EFFECT DIAGNOSES WITH MCC
- 923 - OTHER INJURY, POISONING AND TOXIC EFFECT DIAGNOSES WITHOUT MCC
Present on Admission (POA) Present on Admission
The Present on Admission (POA) indicator is used for diagnosis codes included in claims involving inpatient admissions to general acute care hospitals. POA indicators must be reported to CMS on each claim to facilitate the grouping of diagnoses codes into the proper Diagnostic Related Groups (DRG). CMS publishes a listing of specific diagnosis codes that are exempt from the POA reporting requirement.
The code T73.0XXS is exempt from POA reporting.
- Effects of hunger
- Inanition due to lack of food
- Nutrition deficiency due to insufficient food
- Refeeding syndrome
Information for Patients
Food provides the energy and nutrients you need to be healthy. If you don't get enough nutrients -- including proteins, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins, and minerals - you may suffer from malnutrition.
Causes of malnutrition include:
- Lack of specific nutrients in your diet. Even the lack of one vitamin can lead to malnutrition.
- An unbalanced diet
- Certain medical problems, such as malabsorption syndromes and cancers
Symptoms may include fatigue, dizziness, and weight loss. Or, you may have no symptoms. To diagnose the cause of the problem, your doctor may do blood tests and a nutritional assessment. Treatment may include replacing the missing nutrients and treating the underlying cause.