Diagnosis Code T59.811A
Information for Medical Professionals
The diagnosis code T59.811A is grouped in the following Diagnostic Related Group(s) (MS-DRG V34.0)
- 917 - POISONING AND TOXIC EFFECTS OF DRUGS WITH MCC
- 918 - POISONING AND TOXIC EFFECTS OF DRUGS WITHOUT MCC
- Accidental poisoning by gases or fumes on ship
- Injury to respiratory system due to inhaled substance
- Overcome by smoke on board watercraft
- Smoke inhalation injury
Information for Patients
There are a variety of substances you can inhale that can cause acute internal injuries. Particles in the air from fires and toxic fumes can damage your eyes and respiratory system. They also can make chronic heart and lung diseases worse.
Symptoms of acute inhalation injuries may include
- Coughing and phlegm
- A scratchy throat
- Irritated sinuses
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain or tightness
- Stinging eyes
- A runny nose
- If you already have asthma, it may get worse.
The best way to prevent inhalation injuries is to limit your exposure. If you smell or see smoke, or know that fires are nearby, you should leave the area if you are at greater risk from breathing smoke.
Environmental Protection Agency