Diagnosis Code T56.1X
Information for Patients
Mercury is an element that is found in air, water and soil. It has several forms. Metallic mercury is a shiny, silver-white, odorless liquid. If heated, it is a colorless, odorless gas. It also combines with other elements to form powders or crystals. Mercury is in many products. Metallic mercury is used in glass thermometers, silver dental fillings, and button batteries. Mercury salts may be used in skin creams and ointments. It's also used in many industries.
Mercury in the air settles into water. It can pass through the food chain and build up in fish, shellfish, and animals that eat fish. The nervous system is sensitive to all forms of mercury. Exposure to high levels can damage the brain and kidneys. Pregnant women can pass the mercury in their bodies to their babies.
It is important to protect your family from mercury exposure:
- Carefully handle and dispose of products that contain mercury
- Limit your consumption of fish with higher levels of mercury
Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry
- Mercuric chloride poisoning (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Mercuric oxide poisoning (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Mercury (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Mercury Quick Facts: Health Effects of Mercury Exposure (Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry)
- Methylmercury poisoning (Medical Encyclopedia)