Diagnosis Code S86
Information for Medical Professionals
References found for the code S86 in the Index of Diseases and Injuries:
- 7th Characters: "With"
The word “with” should be interpreted to mean “associated with” or “due to” when it appears in a code title, the Alphabetic Index, or an instructional note in the Tabular List. The word “with” in the Alphabetic Index is sequenced immediately following the main term, not in alphabetical order.
- The appropriate 7th character is to be added to each code from category S86
- Type 2 Excludes Notes: "And"
The word “and” should be interpreted to mean either “and” or “or” when it appears in a title.
- injury of muscle, fascia and tendon at ankle (S96.-)
- injury of patellar ligament (tendon) (S76.1-)
- sprain of joints and ligaments of knee (S83.-)
- Code Also: “Code also note”
A “code also” note instructs that two codes may be required to fully describe a condition, but this note does not provide sequencing direction.
- any associated open wound (S81.-)
Information for Patients
Leg Injuries and Disorders
Your legs are made up of bones, blood vessels, muscles, and other connective tissue. They are important for motion and standing. Playing sports, running, falling, or having an accident can damage your legs. Common leg injuries include sprains and strains, joint dislocations, and fractures.
These injuries can affect the entire leg, or just the foot, ankle, knee, or hip. Certain diseases also lead to leg problems. For example, knee osteoarthritis, common in older people, can cause pain and limited motion. Problems in your veins in your legs can lead to varicose veins or deep vein thrombosis.
- Blount disease (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Bowlegs (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Common peroneal nerve dysfunction (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Femoral nerve dysfunction (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Femur fracture repair - discharge (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Foot, leg, and ankle swelling (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Iliotibial band syndrome -- aftercare (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Ischemic ulcers -- self-care (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Knock knees (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Leg pain (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Shin splints - self-care (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Tibial nerve dysfunction (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Venous insufficiency (Medical Encyclopedia)