Diagnosis Code R18
Information for Medical Professionals
Index of Diseases and Injuries
References found for the code R18 in the Index of Diseases and Injuries:
- Includes Notes: Includes Notes
This note appears immediately under a three character code title to further define, or give examples of, the content of the category.
- fluid in peritoneal cavity
- Type 1 Excludes Notes: Type 1 Excludes Notes
A type 1 Excludes note is a pure excludes note. It means "NOT CODED HERE!" An Excludes1 note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as the code above the Excludes1 note. An Excludes1 is used when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
- ascites in alcoholic cirrhosis (K70.31)
- ascites in alcoholic hepatitis (K70.11)
- ascites in toxic liver disease WITH "With"
The word "with" should be interpreted to mean "associated with" or "due to" when it appears in a code title, the Alphabetic Index, or an instructional note in the Tabular List. The word "with" in the Alphabetic Index is sequenced immediately following the main term, not in alphabetical order. chronic active hepatitis (K71.51)
Information for Patients
Also called: Hepatic disease
Your liver is the largest organ inside your body. It helps your body digest food, store energy, and remove poisons.
There are many kinds of liver diseases:
- Diseases caused by viruses, such as hepatitis A, hepatitis B, and hepatitis C
- Diseases caused by drugs, poisons, or too much alcohol. Examples include fatty liver disease and cirrhosis.
- Liver cancer
- Inherited diseases, such as hemochromatosis and Wilson disease
Symptoms of liver disease can vary, but they often include swelling of the abdomen and legs, bruising easily, changes in the color of your stool and urine, and jaundice, or yellowing of the skin and eyes. Sometimes there are no symptoms. Tests such as imaging tests and liver function tests can check for liver damage and help to diagnose liver diseases.
- ALP isoenzyme test (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Ascites (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Diet - liver disease (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Hepatic encephalopathy (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Hepatomegaly (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Liver disease (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Liver scan (Medical Encyclopedia)