Diagnosis Code R04
Information for Patients
Also called: Hematoma, Hemorrhage
Bleeding is the loss of blood. It can happen outside or inside the body. You may bleed when you get a cut or other wound. Bleeding can also be due to an injury to internal organs.
Sometimes bleeding can cause other problems. A bruise is bleeding under the skin. Some strokes are caused by bleeding in the brain. Other bleeding, such as gastrointestinal bleeding, coughing up blood, or vaginal bleeding, can be a symptom of a disease.
Normally, when you bleed, your blood forms clots to stop the bleeding. Severe bleeding may require first aid or a trip to the emergency room. If you have a bleeding disorder, your blood does not form clots normally.
- Bleeding (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Bleeding gums (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Bleeding into the skin (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Intraventricular hemorrhage of the newborn (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Subarachnoid hemorrhage (Medical Encyclopedia)
Nose Injuries and Disorders
Also called: Nasal disorders
Your nose is important to your health. It filters the air you breathe, removing dust, germs, and irritants. It warms and moistens the air to keep your lungs and tubes that lead to them from drying out. Your nose also contains the nerve cells that help your sense of smell. When there is a problem with your nose, your whole body can suffer. For example, the stuffy nose of the common cold can make it hard for you to breathe, sleep, or get comfortable.
Many problems besides the common cold can affect the nose. They include
- Deviated septum - a shifting of the wall that divides the nasal cavity into halves
- Nasal polyps - soft growths that develop on the lining of your nose or sinuses
- Rhinitis - inflammation of the nose and sinuses sometimes caused by allergies. The main symptom is a runny nose.
- Nasal fractures, also known as a broken nose
- Choanal atresia (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Foreign body in the nose (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Nasal endoscopy (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Nasal fracture - aftercare (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Nasal polyps (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Nose fracture (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Nosebleed (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Stuffy or runny nose - adult (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Stuffy or runny nose - children (Medical Encyclopedia)