Diagnosis Code N83
Information for Medical Professionals
References found for the code N83 in the Index of Diseases and Injuries:
- Type 2 Excludes Notes: "And"
The word “and” should be interpreted to mean either “and” or “or” when it appears in a title.
- hydrosalpinx (N70.1-)
Information for Patients
The ovaries are a pair of organs that women have. They are located in the pelvis, one on each side of the uterus. Each ovary is about the size and shape of an almond.
The ovaries produce a woman's eggs. If an egg is fertilized by a sperm, a pregnancy can result. Ovaries also make the female hormones estrogen and progesterone. When a woman goes through menopause, her ovaries stop releasing eggs and make far lower levels of hormones.
Problems with the ovaries include
- Ovarian cancer
- Ovarian cysts and polycystic ovary syndrome
- Premature ovarian failure
- Ovarian torsion, a twisting of the ovary
- Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome
- Ovarian overproduction of androgens