Diagnosis Code N83
Information for Medical Professionals
References found for the code N83 in the Index of Diseases and Injuries:
- Type 2 Excludes Notes: Type 2 Excludes Notes
A type 2 Excludes note represents "Not included here". An excludes2 note indicates that the condition excluded is not part of the condition represented by the code, but a patient may have both conditions at the same time. When an Excludes2 note appears under a code, it is acceptable to use both the code and the excluded code together, when appropriate.
- hydrosalpinx (N70.1-)
Information for Patients
The ovaries are part of the female reproductive system. Women have two ovaries, one on each side of the uterus. Each ovary is about the size and shape of an almond.
The ovaries produce and store a woman's eggs. During ovulation, an ovary releases an egg. If that egg is fertilized by a sperm, a pregnancy can occur. Ovaries also make the female hormones estrogen and progesterone. When a woman goes through menopause, her ovaries stop making those hormones and releasing eggs.
Problems with the ovaries include
- Ovarian cancer
- Ovarian cysts and polycystic ovary syndrome
- Premature ovarian failure
- Ovarian torsion, a twisting of the ovary
- Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Ovarian overproduction of androgens (Medical Encyclopedia)