Diagnosis Code M13.83
Information for Patients
If you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around, you might have arthritis. Most kinds of arthritis cause pain and swelling in your joints. Joints are places where two bones meet, such as your elbow or knee. Over time, a swollen joint can become severely damaged. Some kinds of arthritis can also cause problems in your organs, such as your eyes or skin.
Types of arthritis include
- Osteoarthritis is the most common type of arthritis. It's often related to aging or to an injury.
- Autoimmune arthritis happens when your body's immune system attacks healthy cells in your body by mistake. Rheumatoid arthritis is the most common form of this kind of arthritis.
- Juvenile arthritis is a type of arthritis that happens in children.
- Infectious arthritis is an infection that has spread from another part of the body to the joint.
- Psoriatic arthritis affects people with psoriasis.
- Gout is a painful type of arthritis that happens when too much uric acid builds up in the body. It often starts in the big toe.
NIH: National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
- Arthritis (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Osteotomy of the knee (Medical Encyclopedia)
Wrist Injuries and Disorders
Your wrist is made up of eight small bones known as carpals. They support a tube that runs through your wrist. That tube, called the carpal tunnel, has tendons and a nerve inside. It is covered by a ligament, which holds it in place.
Wrist pain is common. Repetitive motion can damage your wrist. Everyday activities like typing, racquet sports or sewing can cause pain, or even carpal tunnel syndrome. Wrist pain with bruising and swelling can be a sign of injury. The signs of a possible fracture include misshapen joints and inability to move your wrist. Some wrist fractures are a result of osteoporosis.
Other common causes of pain are
- Sprains and strains
- Gout and pseudogout
- Colles wrist fracture - aftercare (Medical Encyclopedia)
- De Quervain tendinitis (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Wrist arthroscopy (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Wrist pain (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Wrist sprain - aftercare (Medical Encyclopedia)