Diagnosis Code M13.14
Information for Patients
If you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around, you might have arthritis. Most kinds of arthritis cause pain and swelling in your joints. Joints are places where two bones meet, such as your elbow or knee. Over time, a swollen joint can become severely damaged. Some kinds of arthritis can also cause problems in your organs, such as your eyes or skin.
Types of arthritis include
- Osteoarthritis is the most common type of arthritis. It's often related to aging or to an injury.
- Autoimmune arthritis happens when your body's immune system attacks healthy cells in your body by mistake. Rheumatoid arthritis is the most common form of this kind of arthritis.
- Juvenile arthritis is a type of arthritis that happens in children.
- Infectious arthritis is an infection that has spread from another part of the body to the joint.
- Psoriatic arthritis affects people with psoriasis.
- Gout is a painful type of arthritis that happens when too much uric acid builds up in the body. It often starts in the big toe.
NIH: National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
- Arthritis (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Osteotomy of the knee (Medical Encyclopedia)
Hand Injuries and Disorders
No matter how old you are or what you do for a living, you are always using your hands. When there is something wrong with them, you may not be able to do your regular activities.
Hand problems include
- Carpal tunnel syndrome - compression of a nerve as it goes through the wrist, often making your fingers feel numb
- Injuries that result in fractures, ruptured ligaments and dislocations
- Osteoarthritis - wear-and-tear arthritis, which can also cause deformity
- Tendinitis - irritation of the tendons
- Disorders and injuries of your fingers and thumb
- Brachial plexopathy (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Claw hand (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Dupuytrens contracture (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Hand fracture - aftercare (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Hand or foot spasms (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Hand x-ray (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Radial nerve dysfunction (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Ulnar nerve dysfunction (Medical Encyclopedia)