Diagnosis Code K90.81
Information for Medical Professionals
The diagnosis code K90.81 is grouped in the following Diagnostic Related Group(s) (MS-DRG V34.0)
- 393 - OTHER DIGESTIVE SYSTEM DIAGNOSES WITH MCC
- 394 - OTHER DIGESTIVE SYSTEM DIAGNOSES WITH CC
- 395 - OTHER DIGESTIVE SYSTEM DIAGNOSES WITHOUT CC/MCC
Convert to ICD-9 General Equivalence Map
The ICD-10 and ICD-9 GEMs are used to facilitate linking between the diagnosis codes in ICD-9-CM and the new ICD-10-CM code set. The GEMs are the raw material from which providers, health information vendors and payers can derive specific applied mappings to meet their needs.
- 040.2 - Whipple's disease
- Malabsorption caused by infective agent
- Neuro - Whipple's disease
- Seronegative arthritis
- Seronegative arthritis secondary to Whipple's disease
- Whipple's disease
Information for Patients
Your small intestine does most of the digesting of the foods you eat. If you have a malabsorption syndrome, your small intestine cannot absorb nutrients from foods.
Causes of malabsorption syndromes include
- Celiac disease
- Lactose intolerance
- Short bowel syndrome. This happens after surgery to remove half or more of the small intestine. You might need the surgery if you have a problem with the small intestine from a disease, injury, or birth defect.
- Whipple disease, a rare bacterial infection
- Genetic diseases
- Certain medicines
Symptoms of different malabsorption syndromes can vary. They often include chronic diarrhea, abnormal stools, weight loss, and gas. Your doctor may use lab, imaging, or other tests to make a diagnosis.
Treatment of malabsorption syndromes depends on the cause.
- Blind loop syndrome (Medical Encyclopedia)
- D-xylose absorption (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Fecal fat (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Lower GI Series - NIH (National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases)
- Malabsorption (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Short bowel syndrome (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Small bowel bacterial overgrowth (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Stools - floating (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Whipple disease (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Whipple Disease - NIH (National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases)