Diagnosis Code K59.0
Information for Medical Professionals
References found for the code K59.0 in the Index of Diseases and Injuries:
- Type 1 Excludes Notes: Type 1 Excludes Notes
A type 1 Excludes note is a pure excludes note. It means "NOT CODED HERE!" An Excludes1 note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as the code above the Excludes1 note. An Excludes1 is used when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
- fecal impaction (K56.41)
- incomplete defecation (R15.0)
Information for Patients
Constipation means that a person has three or fewer bowel movements in a week. The stool can be hard and dry. Sometimes it is painful to pass. At one time or another, almost everyone gets constipated. In most cases, it lasts a short time and is not serious.
There are many things you can do to prevent constipation. They include
- Eating more fruits, vegetables and grains, which are high in fiber
- Drinking plenty of water and other liquids
- Getting enough exercise
- Taking time to have a bowel movement when you need to
- Using laxatives only if your doctor says you should
- Asking your doctor if medicines you take may cause constipation
It's not important that you have a bowel movement every day. If your bowel habits change, however, check with your doctor.
NIH: National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
- Constipation (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Constipation - self-care (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Fecal impaction (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Lower GI Series - NIH (National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases)
- Tenesmus (Medical Encyclopedia)