Diagnosis Code K56
Information for Medical Professionals
References found for the code K56 in the Index of Diseases and Injuries:
- Type 1 Excludes Notes: Type 1 Excludes Notes
A type 1 Excludes note is a pure excludes note. It means "NOT CODED HERE!" An Excludes1 note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as the code above the Excludes1 note. An Excludes1 is used when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
- congenital stricture or stenosis of intestine (Q41-Q42)
- cystic fibrosis WITH "With"
The word "with" should be interpreted to mean "associated with" or "due to" when it appears in a code title, the Alphabetic Index, or an instructional note in the Tabular List. The word "with" in the Alphabetic Index is sequenced immediately following the main term, not in alphabetical order. meconium ileus (E84.11)
- ischemic stricture of intestine (K55.1)
- meconium ileus NOS (P76.0)
- neonatal intestinal obstructions classifiable to P76.-
- obstruction of duodenum (K31.5)
- postprocedural intestinal obstruction (K91.3)
- stenosis of anus or rectum (K62.4)
- intestinal obstruction WITH "With"
The word "with" should be interpreted to mean "associated with" or "due to" when it appears in a code title, the Alphabetic Index, or an instructional note in the Tabular List. The word "with" in the Alphabetic Index is sequenced immediately following the main term, not in alphabetical order. hernia (K40-K46)
Information for Patients
Also called: Bowel obstruction, Intestinal volvulus, Paralytic ileus
An intestinal obstruction occurs when food or stool cannot move through the intestines. The obstruction can be complete or partial. There are many causes. The most common are adhesions, hernias, cancers, and certain medicines.
- Severe abdominal pain or cramping
- Loud bowel sounds
- Swelling of the abdomen
- Inability to pass gas
A complete intestinal obstruction is a medical emergency. It often requires surgery.
NIH: National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
- Intestinal obstruction (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Intestinal obstruction repair (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Intestinal or bowel obstruction - discharge (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Intussusception - children (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Small bowel resection (Medical Encyclopedia)