Diagnosis Code F80.89
Information for Medical Professionals
The ICD-10 and ICD-9 GEMs are used to facilitate linking between the diagnosis codes in ICD-9-CM and the new ICD-10-CM code set. The GEMs are the raw material from which providers, health information vendors and payers can derive specific applied mappings to meet their needs.
- 315.39 - Speech/language dis NEC (approximate) Approximate Flag
The approximate flag is on, indicating that the relationship between the code in the source system and the code in the target system is an approximate equivalent.
- Barrier to communication
- Congenital dysphasia
- Delayed pre-verbal development
- Developmental motor speech disorder
- Developmental semantic impairment
- Developmental syntactic impairment
- Discourse difficulties
- Disorder of language
- Motor speech disorder
- Restricted language development
- Semantic impairment
- Sociolinguistic difficulties
- Word finding difficulty
Replaced Code Replaced Code
The National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) has published an update to the ICD-10-CM diagnosis codes which became effective October 1, 2016. This codes was replaced for the FY 2017 (October 1, 2016-September 30, 2017).
This code was replaced in the 2017 ICD-10 code set with the code(s) listed below.
- F80.82 - Social pragmatic communication disorder
Information for Patients
Also called: Communication disorders
Many disorders can affect our ability to speak and communicate. They range from saying sounds incorrectly to being completely unable to speak or understand speech. Causes include
- Hearing disorders and deafness
- Voice problems, such as dysphonia or those caused by cleft lip or palate
- Speech problems like stuttering
- Developmental disabilities
- Learning disorders
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Brain injury
Some speech and communication problems may be genetic. Often, no one knows the causes. By first grade, about 5 percent of children have noticeable speech disorders. Speech and language therapy can help.
NIH: National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
- Phonological disorder
- Selective mutism
- Speech impairment (adult)