Diagnosis Code E21.3
Information for Medical Professionals
The diagnosis code E21.3 is grouped in the following Diagnostic Related Group(s) (MS-DRG V34.0)
- 643 - ENDOCRINE DISORDERS WITH MCC
- 644 - ENDOCRINE DISORDERS WITH CC
- 645 - ENDOCRINE DISORDERS WITHOUT CC/MCC
Convert to ICD-9 General Equivalence Map
The ICD-10 and ICD-9 GEMs are used to facilitate linking between the diagnosis codes in ICD-9-CM and the new ICD-10-CM code set. The GEMs are the raw material from which providers, health information vendors and payers can derive specific applied mappings to meet their needs.
- 252.00 - Hyperparathyroidism NOS
- Brown tumor of hyperparathyroidism
- Calcifying panniculitis due to hyperparathyroidism
- Endocrine myopathy
- Myopathy in hyperparathyroidism
- Neonatal hyperparathyroidism
- Subcutaneous calcification
Information for Patients
Most people have four pea-sized glands, called parathyroid glands, on the thyroid gland in the neck. Though their names are similar, the thyroid and parathyroid glands are completely different. The parathyroid glands make parathyroid hormone (PTH), which helps your body keep the right balance of calcium and phosphorous.
If your parathyroid glands make too much or too little hormone, it disrupts this balance. If they secrete extra PTH, you have hyperparathyroidism, and your blood calcium rises. In many cases, a benign tumor on a parathyroid gland makes it overactive. Or, the extra hormones can come from enlarged parathyroid glands. Very rarely, the cause is cancer.
If you do not have enough PTH, you have hypoparathyroidism. Your blood will have too little calcium and too much phosphorous. Causes include injury to the glands, endocrine disorders, or genetic conditions. Treatment is aimed at restoring the balance of calcium and phosphorous.
NIH: National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
- Calcium - ionized (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Calcium - urine (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Calcium blood test (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Hypercalcemia - discharge (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Hyperparathyroidism (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Hypoparathyroidism (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Parathyroid adenoma (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Parathyroid biopsy (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Parathyroid cancer (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Parathyroid gland removal (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Parathyroid hormone (PTH) blood test (Medical Encyclopedia)